Tuesday 15 September 2015

Grey Phalarope

After having a lack of birding after my return from Bardsey Bird Observatory two weeks ago, things perked up today. I was informed that there was a Grey Phalarope in Llanrhidian, despite someone putting their marker on the map on Birdguides in a totally different place to the name of the pond. I jumped in the car with my bins and camera ready to find this tiny little bird. Having just pulled up to the pond and having a quick look out the window, I couldn't see any birds other than the two rooks perched on a branch. This tiny little bird emerged from the shrub next to my foot and began feeding almost two meters in front of me, I began snapping away at it feeding when it then did spin and I immediately stopped and looked up to watch it continue to turn in circles, one of the best things I have seen!

It came a little closer into the rougher part of the pond and I set about getting that perfect shot without getting my camera soaked in the water. At one point he came a little too close and the lowest part of my zoom (150mm) was struggling to focus which meant putting the camera down and watching and making mental notes of the bird ready to do some sketches of it later on.


A little while past, and it moved a little further away meaning I could get back to taking photos of this cute little bird, its not often you can call birds cute but looking at this little one, how could you not?!
1000 photos later and a few giggles watching it do a few more spins, I decided to let it get on with feeding in peace and ventured back into my warm car out of the rain and fog and head home. Phalaropes are definitely one of my favourite birds and watching this particular one on my home ground just makes birding even better.




3 comments: